In the city of Cashgar. lived a barber who was a great talker. Once the Sultan called the barber to shave his head. The barber started talking non-stop instead of shaving him. The Sultan got angry. "When are you going to stop talking and begin to do your work?" The Barber replied, "You do me an injury by calling me a chatterer. For, everyone says I am very quiet. 

I have six brothers whom you might call chatterers. Their names are Bacbone (buk-bon). Bakbarea (buk-buria), Bakbac (buk-buk), Alcouz (ul-kooz), Alnaschee (ul-nashi) and Schacabac{ sha- ka-bak). One is humpbacked, one is toothless, one is half blind, one is quite blind, one is deaf and the other has a defect in his speech and they are all great talkers, but I am the youngest of my family. and I am very quiet and sparing with words." 


The Talkatve Barber


TOve him three pieces of gold the Sultan cried, losing all patience, "and send htm away 1 will not be shaved today. My Master," cried the Barber, "It was not I who casme to seck you, it was yOu who ordered me to Cume So 1 will not quit your house tillI have shavedyou." He then begun narrating another story, which lasted halfan hour Stop making your fine speeches and let me go guckly. I have aan affair of the greatest importance. I have outatacon. sad the Sultan. 

When he saw that the Sultan was really angry with htm, the Barber sald, "O Master, do not be angry. I will begin to shave you." Saying this, he washed the Sultan's head and began to shave. But he had not touched him even four times with the razor, when he stopped and said, "My Master, you are acting hastily in this matter." "Go on shaving me, speak no more", ordered the Sultan.

 "Be patient," said the barber, "perhaps you have not considered well what you were going to do. I wish you Would tell me what this matter of great importance is all about and then I will give you my opinion on it. " Finish shaving at once," the Sultan exclaimed. But. Instead of doing this, the Barber left the Sultan half- shaved to go and see what time it was." My patience is exhausted," the Sultan cried. "Be calm, my Master and you shall be shaved in a moment," said the Barber and saying this, he continued shaving the Sultan. But whtle he was doing this, he could not help talking.

 f you could inform me what this important affair is. would give more advice, which you might find useful," he The Sultan was completely fed up by now and decided to satisfy the barber. He told him that he was giving a least to some Iriends at oon which was why he was in a huny to leave. When the barber heard the Sultan mention a feast he exclaimed. Tiat reminds me, Yesterday, 1 iInvited four or Ive friends to come to my house today. But 1 had quite forgotten it and have not nade any preparations 


for them." The Sultan who was at the mercy of the Barber, was ready to do anything to be rid of him. Be quick and tintsh your work." the Sultan replied, Cand you shall have all the food that has been prepared for me today." "Please show me the food so that I may judge if it is enough for my five friends." Thave enough food for you!" the Sultan exclaimed. But he ordered that all the food prepared for his feast be brought in. The Barber looked over the food and said "This is very good but I shall want some fruit for the dessert also." The Sultan. in desperation, stnce his head was half shaved, ordered that the fruits should also be brought in.


The Barber left off shaving the Sultan to examine cach dish separately. This took up half an hour The Sultan Stamped his feet 0patiently but the Barber did et heurry. At lengh. Iowever be again took up the razor but after a few tes of work. stopped suddenly and cried, 1 er knew that you were so generous."